Cultural Dictionary
Christmas definition
A festival commemorating the birth of
Jesus, traditionally celebrated on December 25 by most Western Christian churches. Although dating to probably as early as a.d. 200, the feast of Christmas did not become widespread until the Middle Ages. Today, Christmas is largely secularized and dominated by gifts, decorated trees, and a jolly Santa Claus.
On some level I am very saddened by Christmas being largely secularized. But I can see the other side too. I also think Christmas causes way too much unnecessary stress. So I've decided to buy my family's presents at Goodwill or homemake them. I think they are more personal that way. Hopefully I'll be able to and not get swept away. It's quite difficult. I rang the Salvation Army bell today outside the grocery store. Part of the reason I did it was for the "volunteer" hours I have to get for National Honor Society, I'll admit. But the part that really was voluntary: Henry and I sang Christmas carols as people walked us by, and some said they'd donate money just because we were singing. So that was nice I think. I'll talk about this season's stand against secularization of Christmas that I have planned tomorrow. Peace.